Sunday, March 1, 2009

Nyang-Nyang



Finally pictures of my own: Nyang-Nyang from the top of the cliff, down on the beach looking west, couple water shots, post-surf rest looking east down the beach.

Yesterday I found an incredible new beach to surf at named Nyang-Nyang. I had read about the spot before and knew that usually the waves are too big and messed up from the wind to surf. But, with no wind yesterday (rare) and Bingin Beach where I'm staying at only about waist high I decided to go find Nyang-Nyang which faces directly south into the swells.

Down a bumpy, muddy path I came to the cliffs edge. Spoke briefly with the few Balinese locals about the spot and where to hike down, grabbed my board and went. Wave size was hard to judge from so high on the cliff but once down the million stairs and on the beach I realized that these were overhead powerful waves. The swell energy at Nyang-Nyang is different, more raw than the other spots. The waves were unpredictable, either doubling up barreling hard and spitting or breaking disorganized and fat.

Brought the waterproof camera out and proceeded to surf absolutely by myself. In fact, I could not even see another person up or down the coast! If this was anywhere in California it would be packed. Surreal experience, if not a little bit uncomfortable. Got a few pictures of the waves, none of the really good hollow ones, but you can get the idea.

Surfed out and feeling sunburnt, I hiked back up the cliff where I ended up hanging out and drinking Bintangs with a Javanese guy named Jobe for the rest of the afternoon. Turns out a fisherman got swept into the sea down at Nyang-Nyang that morning and was not yet found. Kannish told me later that night that he was found a few kilometers away already drowned. Nyang-Nyang is apparently a little sketchy. Wanted to get a picture with me and Jobe but the camera battery died (didn't charge it after I bought it.) I'll see him again I'm sure.

After that it was drinking and games back at Sticky's until we passed out. Louie will be proud to know I beat our friend Kannish at drunken chess and also introduced him to "Extreme Pass the Pigs."

Traded small but damn good fast lefts out front this morning with only two other guys and later Kannish and I are headed to Nyang-Nyang to surf again along with a German couple who want to watch the sunset.

I think I can get used to this lifestyle.

3 comments:

  1. jealous! i can't believe i'm not there with you... f-ing pile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good shit brother! Glad you made it out there. As a Pig ambassador i support you introducing new people to the wonder of pass the pigs.

    <3 Matty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everybody loves the pigs!!!

    ReplyDelete