Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Surf All Day & Fish All Night

Small, high tide Nyang-Nyang.

Crystal clear water.

All by myself.

Indonesian fishing gear (or lack thereof).

Paddling through the night trawling for squid.

First Blood! (small squid in Kannish's hand).

Lunch time today. Looks good, no?

Kannish eats every part, even took one of the eyeballs off my plate.

So the eyeballs are good, eh? Alright I'll go for it.


Woke up back at Sticky's and the tide was too high and the surf too small for out front so I headed out to find waves at Nyang-Nyang. Slid all down the muddy road on my motorbike till the mud got to be too much and walked the rest of the way to the trailhead down the cliff. Got some fun waves by myself then back to Bingin. To my surprise, perfect, small, speedy waves pouring in now that the tide dropped out. Caught two set waves right off the bat by sitting deeper than everyone else in the prime spot until on my third wave I realized where I was taking off was almost sucking dry. Could see the reef was no more than one or maybe two feet below the surface. Crazy. Went in to recharge with some nasi goreng (indonesian fried rice) and a Bintang and saw with the tide getting lower that little micro barrels were becominig possible. Paddled out for round three, snagged a couple little barrels in some of the shallowest water I've ever surfed in and came in after sunset.

After that, it was up to Leggie's place to chill with some UK surfers I met in the water. Watched and ridiculed probably one of the worst surf movies ever made, Blue Crush, and nine Bintangs later I stumbled back down to Sticky's to find out that it was time for squid fishing and there was a spare canoe for me to give it a try. Alright, what the hell. Drunkenly launched my canoe with Kannish and paddled out into the night. With an almost full moon and no clouds, I could see like it was daytime. Tie the lines to your big toes, paddle slowly until you feel a bite, reel in, stuff squid in bag, and repeat. Easier said than done in my drunken state. Fell out of the canoe once, tangled my lines, had some bites but lost the squid, lost two lures, cut my toe on the reef coming in... the score was Kannish: 5, Dominic: 0. Even with the rough time, I think I'm addicted. Got so pumped when I felt the squid hook on and tug your foot off the canoe. Got some new lures today, gonna stay mostly sober and am not coming in tonight until I get a squid.

Cooked up Kannish's squid for lunch today. The meat is so sweet I thought Nyoman (Sticky's wife) had cooked it in some kind of sweet sauce, but the only thing she added was salt. So good.

1 comment:

  1. my goal is to become as skinny as kannish on the bali diet. i'm stoked!

    ReplyDelete